Javascript is vital for the advanced features in this website such as Property Search. Please enable or upgrade your browser

Houses in Multiple Occupation

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) need high safety standards as there are greater risks involved. For example, people frequently lock the doors of their rooms in shared accommodation, so there is an increased risk in case of a fire.

In order to make sure that safety standards are adhered to, landlords are asked to register properties which are being rented out to multiple occupants. To find out whether your property needs to be registered, please read the definitions below:

A HMO is a house occupied by more than 2 qualifying persons, being persons who are not all members of the same family.

A “qualifying person” is a person whose only or principal place of residence is the HMO. A student’s term time accommodation is regarded as the student’s only or principal place of residence while he/she is living there.

You are considered to be a member of the same family if you are the spouse (or you live together as husband and wife), civil partner (or you live together as if you are civil partners), parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother/sister, uncle/aunt, nephew/niece of the other person.


The following categories are exempt from registration:

  • any HMO which is occupied by persons who comprise no more than two families
  • any HMO which is occupied by no more than two persons in addition to the owner (or owners) and members of the family (or families) of owner(s).
  • If the property is a HMO then it must be registered.